Akshaya Tritiya 2021: Date, Significance, Puja Vidhi, Stories & Rituals
Akshaya Tritiya 2021, the biggest Hindu festival – Checkout the Dates, Significance, Stories, Rituals, Puja Vidhi, buying Gold, Mahalakshmi & Lord Kuber Puja & More. Your guide on what to do on Akshaya Tritiya 2021.
Akshaya Tritiya falls on the third lunar day (Tritiya) of the Shukla Paksha (bright half) of the Vaisakh month of the Hindu calendar. Though Tritiya of Shukla Paksha for all twelve months is auspicious, but the Tritiya of Vaisakh month is considered auspicious for all beginnings. Akshaya Tritiya generally falls in the months April or May; the date may vary as Hindu calendar. In 2021, Akshaya Tritiya falls on 14th May 2021. Hindus and Jains celebrate Akshaya Tritiya all over the world but most widely in India and Nepal. Puja Mahurat for Akshaya Tritiya 2021 (Delhi, India) is from 5:38 AM – 12:18 PM in 2021.
THE MEANING OF THE TERM AKSHAYA TRITIYA
In Akshay Tritiya, the word ‘Akshaya’ in Sanskrit means ‘eternal/infinite/never-ending’ in terms of ‘fortune, good luck, prosperity, hope, joy, success’, while ‘Tritiya’ refers to the ‘third lunar day’ of the spring month of Vaisakh. Akshaya Tritiya is an annually celebrated and immensely auspicious springtime festival. Also called by the names Akti or Akha Teej in some regions, Akshaya Tritiya symbolizes good luck, good fortune, and infinite prosperity.
SIGNIFICANCE OF GOLD ON AKSHAY TRITTIYA
Hindus consider this day as auspicious for marriages, starting new work, starting construction of new building, buying Gold, real estate, and for any new beginnings. It is also celebrated as a day of remembrance for the dear ones who are no longer with us. Fasting, helping others, and charity are parts of the day’s festivities. In some regions, this day is important for both married and unmarried women who pray for the well-being of men in their lives.
The work that is done on Akshaya Tritiya gives manifold results. The scriptures sing praises of this pious day. Most people buy Gold on Akshaya Tritiya which is also a symbol of Goddess Lakshmi. It is believed that a person who buys Gold on this day will be blessed with prosperity and abundant wealth by Goddess Lakshmi.
WHY IS GOLD BOUGHT ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA?
People perform religious deeds and begin new ventures on Akshaya Tritiya as no Muhurat is needed to do any auspicious work, the entire day has divine blessings. It is believed that this day is also special in the context of planets and thus divine energies are encompassed in the universe, adding positivity to all tasks.
It is believed that if you buy Gold on Akshaya Tritiya, it adds infinite prosperity to the life and auspicious results are received by you and your family. The Gold purchased on this day will continue to grow with all generations of your family. Since the Vedic period, Gold is included in the very favourite precious metals. Gold symbolizes prosperity and wealth, but its value also increases with time. It is believed that on the day of Akshaya Tritiya, the brisk rays of the sun fall on the earth. The sun and the blessings of Surya Dev is compared with Gold. Therefore, as a symbol of strength, Gold is bought on this day.
It is a popular belief one who buys Gold on Akshaya Tritiya will be blessed with prosperity and more wealth by Goddess Lakshmi. The Gold purchased on this day will never diminish and would continue to grow every year.
SIGNIFICANCE OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA IN HINDUISM:
Akshaya Tritiya also has special significance as the best-known Muhurat (auspicious beginning time/day). On this day, any auspicious work such as marriage, house-entry, purchase of garments and jewellery, or purchase of house, plot, vehicle, etc., can be done without seeing any Horoscope for Muhurat. This day of Akshaya Tritiya is considered best to wear new clothes, jewellery, and for establishing or inaugurating a new institution. Tarpan and Pind Daan or any other kind of donation made for the Ancestors on this day provides inexhaustible fruits.
On the day of Akshaya Tritiya, all sins are destroyed by bathing in the Ganga River and worshiping Lord Vishnu. Chanting of Mantras, austerity, havan, and charity done on this day also give everlasting fruits. If Akshaya Tritiya falls on Monday and in Rohini Nakshatra, then the auspicious and beneficial effects of donations, chanting, fasting, and worship done on this day increase manifold. A person who prays for forgiveness from Lord Vishnu with a pure heart is forgiven for all his sins.
LAKSHMI, NARAYAN, & KUBER WORSHIP ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA
There is a tradition of worshiping Lord Vishnu, Goddess Lakshmi, and Lord Kubera on the day of Akshaya Tritiya. Worship must be done early in the morning after taking a shower and by following all the Vidhis suggested by the scriptures. Lakshmi Narayan should be worshiped with white lotus, white rose, or yellow rose to receive their blessings.
WHICH ITEMS SHOULD YOU DONATE ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA?
Barley or wheat, Sattu, cucumber, and gram pulse are offered in Naivedya (Prasad). After that, the Daan is given to Brahmins of fruits, flowers, utensils, and clothes. It is highly auspicious to provide food to Brahmins. It is believed that Sattu (Sattu is a kind of indigenous dish, which is made by grinding roasted barley, maize, and gram) must be eaten on this day, and if possible, one should wear new clothes and jewelry.
Donation of cow, land, gold vessel, etc., is also done on this day. This day also symbolizes the beginning of summer and the end of spring, so on the day of Akshaya Tritiya, donation of items beneficial in summer like- water-filled pitchers, fans, khadoon (wooden slippers), umbrella, rice, salt, ghee, melon, cucumber, sugar, greens, tamarind, sattu, etc., is considered virtuous. The belief behind this donation is that all the things which will be donated on this day will be received in heaven or the next life.
The donation given on the day of Akshaya Tritiya gives manifold auspicious results. Donating on this day is of special importance as these donations reach the ancestors and you get their blessings. Donating Kalash, fan, chappal (slipper), umbrella, cucumber, and melon on the day of Akshaya Tritiya is of special significance. The Donation of fruit, sugar, and ghee to needy saints gets unique results on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya.
AKSHAYA TRITIYA CELEBRATION IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF INDIA
- Akshaya Tritiya has its own significance in different provinces of India. In Bengal, on this day, it is a tradition for all traders to start their book of accounts (audit book) by worshiping Ganesh Ji and Lakshmi Ji.
- Akshaya Tritiya is considered auspicious by farmers in Orissa, India. From this day onwards, the farmers of Orissa start ploughing their fields. The day is also significant in Punjab. This day is considered an indicator of the start of the new season. It is believed that the beginning of agricultural work on this day brings prosperity to the farmers.
- On Akshaya Tritiya, farms of the Jat family go to their farm early in the morning. The more animals and birds are found in that path, the more it is considered auspicious for harvest and rain.
- On Akshaya Tritiya in Rajasthan, farmers worship for calling upon more rain in their local regions.
- Akshaya Tritiya is free from all malefic effects as per Vedic astrologers. As per the Hindu astrology, the three lunar days of Ugadi (first day of bright half Chaitra month of Hindu calendar and a New year day in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Karnataka), Akshaya Tritiya, and Vijaya Dashami do not need any auspicious Muhurat to begin or perform any auspicious work as these days are free from all malefic effects.
HINDU BELIEFS, DEITIES WORSHIPPED & THE LEGENDS ABOUT THE DAY OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA:
During their exile, Pandavas faced a shortage of food for themselves and their guest sages. On this day, Lord Krishna gave Pandavas a bowl called “Akshaya Patra’ with the blessing that this bowl will always remain full and will provide them with all food as per their choice and requirement. Through Akshaya Patra, Yudhishthira used to help the poor and hungry people of his state by giving them food. On the basis of this belief, the virtue of donations made on this day is also considered to be renewable; that is, the virtue received on this day never ends. It increases the fate of human beings for years.
BIRTH OF PARASHURAMA
BIRTH OF ANNAPURNA MAA (GODDESS OF FOOD)
MAA GANGA DESCENDED ON EARTH ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA.
EPIC MAHABHARATA’S RELATION TO THE DAY OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA
DRAUPADI EPISODE & AKSHAYA TRITIYA
THE BEGINNING OF SAT YUGA (ERA) AND TRETA YUGA
SUDAMA MET SRI KRISHNA ON THE DAY OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA.
AKSHAYA TRITIYA AND THE TEMPLES ACROSS INDIA
Temples of Yamunotri and Gangotri
Banke Bihari Temple
LORD KUBER AND GODDESS LAKSHMI ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA
On this day, Lord Kubera, also called Lord of Wealth, worshiped Lord Shiva. Pleased with Lord Kubera’s penance, Shiv Ji asked Kubera to ask for a boon. Kubera asked for a boon to reclaim his wealth and property from Lakshmi Ji. Then Lord Shankar Ji advised Lord Kubera to worship Goddess Lakshmi. Lord Kuber, on this day, worshipped Goddess Lakshmi. Pleased by Lord Kuber’s prayers, Goddess MahaLakshmi blessed him with an immense amount of wealth, and Lord Kubera was made treasurer of Gods as a reward.
It is said in south India that by Goddess Lakshmi’s blessing Lord Kuber became so rich that Lord of Tirupati, Lord Venkateswara, borrow money from Lord Kuber for organizing a very grand ceremony for his marriage with Padmavati. It is believed that he would be repaying that loan till the end of Kali Yuga. Since Lakshmi Ji is the wife of Lord Vishnu, she is worshiped along with Shri Narayan by devotees who wish to gain the treasures like Lord Kubera. The practice of worshiping Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Narayan is believed to be started on the day of Akshaya Tritiya, and this tradition continues till today.
AUSPICIOUS INCIDENTS ON THE DAY OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA
• In Puri, the famous annual Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath begins on this day.
• On this day, Lord Krishna told Yudhishthira that whatever creative or worldly work you do on this day would be rewarded.
• Hindu legends tell that on this day, the war of Mahabharata ended.
• Akshaya Tritiya marks the commencement of sowing of the paddy seeds as a symbolic start for the most important Kharif crop. Farmers perform a ritual called Akhi Muthi Anukula.
• Buying something new like jewellery, clothes, car, property, etc., on this day is considered auspicious.
KATHAS OR STORIES ASSOCIATED WITH AKSHAYA TRITIYA
Hindu community consider this day as a crucial one for it marks the beginning of many mythological and ancient incidents. There are many legends associated with the celebrations of Akshaya Tritiya:
THE STORY OF SUDAMA & LORD KRISHNA ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA
One of the most popular legends in respect of Akshaya Tritiya is that Sudama, the poor childhood friend of Lord Krishna in gurukul, went to Lord Krishna for his financial help carrying a pouch of rice as a gift for his friend Lord Krishna. Hesitantly Sudama gave the pouch to Lord Krishna, who accepted it with great hour and joy. Sudama was overwhelmed by the honour and respect given to him by Lord Krishna.
Sudama could not gather the courage to ask for financial support from Lord Krishna; as such, with permission from Lord Krishna, he started his journey back to his home empty-handed. When Sudama reached his home, he saw his old run-down hut was converted into a palace and was told by his family of the wealth inside the house. Sudama recognized the blessing of his friend Lord Krishna who has blessed him with wealth beyond his imagination. Akshaya Tritiya is thus associated with material gains.
THE STORY OF KING CHANDRAGUPTA ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA
BIRTH OF LORD PARASHURAMA & THE CELEBRATION OF PARASHURAMA JAYANTI
It is mentioned in Skanda Purana and Bhavishya Purana that Lord Vishnu was born as Parashurama from Mata Renuka’s womb on Tritiya of Vaishakh Shukla Paksha. The Parashurama Jayanti is celebrated with great pomp on this date in the Parashurama temples of Konkan and Chiplun. Parashuram Jayanti is given special importance in South India. The story of the emergence of Lord Parashuram is also heard on this date due to it being Parashuram Jayanti. This day of Akshaya Tritiya is of great importance for the worship of Lord Parashurama.
On this day, fortunate women and virgin girls distribute sweets, fruits, and soaked gram after worshiping Mata Gauri also known as Maa Shakti and Mata Parvati. On this day of Akshay Tritiya, Lord Parshuram, Brahmin by birth and Kshatriya (warrior) by deeds, was born. According to a legend, the Prasad of Parashurama’s mother and Vishwamitra’s mother was exchanged by a Sage & thus a Kshatriya’s essence became added to Parashuram. Thus, Parashuram was a Kshatriya despite being born as a Brahmin, and even after being born as a Kshatriya’s son, Vishwamitra was called Brahmarishi. It is said that at the time of Sita Swayamvar, Parashuram Ji dedicated his bow and arrows to Sri Rama and went to spend his life as a monk. He kept a Pharsa (Axe type weapon) with him, due to which he was named Parashurama.
RITUALS/TRADITIONS OBSERVED DURING AKSHAYA TRITIYA.
• Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi are worshipped by the devotees for the blessing of the Supreme Lord. Devotees keep a fast on this day.
• Donating rice, salt, ghee, vegetables, fruits, and clothes to the poor and needy persons is considered pious, and is believed that it will bring good fortune and prosperity. On this day, religious and spiritual pursuits, fasting, charity are considered sacred.
• On Akshaya Tritiya, people buy Gold and silver. It is believed that buying Gold on this day will bring good fortune, success, and wealth.
• On this day, the first ploughing is done in the agriculture fields for the next crop.
• For the next financial year, new ledgers are started after worshipping Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi.
• Akshaya Tritiya is a very good day for marriage, starting long journeys like Pilgrimage, New Business, and construction work. There is always an increase in things purchased on this day.
• Substantial investments are also made on this day, just like buying Gold and ornaments. This can include investments in new ventures or other acquisitions plans that yield benefits to self and family alike.
• On the day of Akshaya Tritiya day, many people invest in property and houses or gain possession of their new homes.
• As per astrology, the period suitable for Marriages starts from this day. The elders begin the auspicious work for the marriage of their sons and daughters.
• In many places, even young children marry their dolls with full custom. In this way, children learn social practices in the villages themselves. In many places, the entire village and the family also get involved in matrimonial programs organized by the children. Therefore it can be said that Akshaya Tritiya is a unique festival of social and cultural education.
• Farmers gather on this day to see the omen for the coming year regarding agricultural yields etc. It is believed that the omens farmers get on this day are 100% true.
• It is a tradition for the Rajputs to go hunting on this day.
MARRIAGE ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA
AKSHAYA TRITIYA PUJA VIDHI
SIMPLE PUJA VIDHI THAT CAN BE DONE AT HOME ON AKSHAYA TRITIYA
• On this day, get up early and take a shower, if possible, with water mixed with the holy water of Ganga.
• After this, install the idols of Lord Vishnu and Maa Lakshmi at the place of worship in the house or any holy place in the house if not already present.
• Take a pledge if you want to keep a fast through the day. Then bath the statue of Lord Vishnu and Mother Lakshmi with panchamrit (Mixture of water, preferably Ganga Jal, milk, curd, honey, and ghee).
• Light a lamp of ghee and incense (Dhoop) in front of deities. Then the deities are offered sandalwood paste, flowers, ashat (unbroken rice), yellow clothes, incense sticks, sesame seeds, Tulsi leaves, sweets, sattu, cucumber, chana dal, etc.
• Worship them and chant the mantras of the Gods given below.
• If possible, recite Vishnu Sahasranama and Sri Suktam on this day.
• Finally, perform Aarti and distribute the Prasad to the family and friends who have participated in the Puja.
• Donating fruits, flowers, utensils, clothes, cow, water pitchers, axes, fans, rice, salt, ghee, melon, sugar, etc., on this day is considered auspicious.
ELABORATE PROCEDURE OR VEDIC PUJA VIDHI OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA PUJA
• Purvang Karma (Ganesh Pujan, Abhyudaya, Punyawachan, Kalash Sthapana, Raksha vidhan, Navgrah Puja, etc.)
• Puja of Lord Vishnu, Maa Lakshmi and Lord Kuber.
• Recitation of Vishnu Sahasranama Path, Vishnu Chalisa, Lord Kuber, and Maa Lakshmi Stotrams.
• Homam (Havan) with the help of sacred fire of Agni Dev.
• Prayer to the deities and Aarti of Lord Vishnu, Maa Lakshmi, and Lord Kuber is done.
• Puja is completed with donation to Brahmins and needy persons.
• Donation of fruits, flowers, utensils, clothes, cow, water pitchers, axes, fans, rice, salt, ghee, melon, sugar, etc., on this day, is considered auspicious.
MANTRAS TO BE CHANTED WHILE OFFERING THE PUJA ON AKSHAY TRITTIYA
Mantras for starting the Puja with Lord Ganesh Vandana
Om Gam Ganapathaye Namaha
Vakratunda Mahakaya Suryakoti Samaprabha, Nirvighnam Kurume Deva Sarvakaryeshu Sarvada
Lord Vishnu Mantras
Mantra for Goddess Lakshmi on Akshaya Tritiya
Mantra for Lord Kubera for prosperity on Akshaya Tritiya
BENEFITS OF AKSHAYA TRITIYA PUJA (VISHNU-LAKSHMI- KUBERA PUJA)
• For those who are unable to get their work done or, despite fasting, whose wishes are not fulfilled, or whose business is constantly in deficit, Puja on Akshaya Tritiya is considered auspicious and beneficial for any new start.
• Despite earning, in whose house money does not stay or whose home is not peaceful or children are not happy or enemies are dominating from all around, then in these cases, fasting and Puja on Akshaya Tritiya and doing charity on the day will be very fruitful.
• This Puja is very beneficial when performed at the start of any new or auspicious endeavor.
• Puja and good deeds that are done on Akshaya Tritiya give manifold results.
• Devotees worshiping Goddess Lakshmi on Akshaya Tritiya are blessed by her with stable everlasting wealth.
• This Puja provides domestic happiness, and the financial position of a family becomes stable.
• One is blessed with progeny and parental bliss.
• Additional sources of income appear by the blessing of Lord Kubera and Maa Lakshmi.
AKSHAYA TRITIYA IN JAINISM
In Jainism, Akshaya Tritiya is a great religious festival. On this day, Shri Adinatha Bhagwan, the first Tirthankara of Jainism, after performing a complete penance for one year, drank the Ikshu (Shoredi-sugarcane) juice and ended his penance. Shri Adinatha Bhagwan, the first Tirthankara of Jainism, embraced Jain asceticism by sacrificing the material and family pleasures of the world in order to propagate truth and non-violence. While promoting truth and non-violence, Adinatha Prabhu visited Hastinapur Gajpur, where his grandson Somayash ruled.
Hearing the arrival of Prabhu, the whole city swelled to see him. Somprabhu’s son Prince Shreyans Kumar, seeing the Lord, recognized Adinatha and immediately gave sugarcane juice to the Lord as the form of a pure diet, with which Adinatha broke his fast. Jain religions believe that sugarcane juice is also known as Ikshuras, due to which this day became famous as Ikshu Tritiya and Akshaya Tritiya.
Lord Shri Adinatha ended penance after about 400 days. This long austerity was for more than a year, so in Jainism, it is addressed as Varshitap (a year-penance). Even today, followers of Jainism consider themselves blessed by doing Varshitap. This penance starts every year from the Ashtami of Kartik’s Krishna Paksha, and in the second year, it ends on the Akshaya Tritiya of Shukla Paksha of Vaisakh.
Before beginning penance, full care is taken that fasting is necessary every fourteen-day (Chaudas) of the month. This way of Varshitap becomes around 13 months and ten days. Only hot water is consumed in fasting. In India, the number of people doing this type of penance reaches thousands. This austerity is important not only from the religious point of view but also for a living disease-free life.
Performing this kind of religious activity helps to calm the mind, purity in thoughts, and interest in religious trends and avoid doing sinful deeds. This is why this Akshaya Tritiya is considered to have special religious significance in Jainism. The one who does Varshitap (a year-penance) with a true mind, speech, and devotion is considered great.